Advanced cutting materials in application for more complex blade geometries
How to use advanced cutting tool materials SiAlON and BL-PCBN for milling more complex blade geometries?
Challenge and Motivation
- Advanced cutting tool materials allow a substantial increase in productivity when machining turbomachinery components made from nickel-based alloys.
- In last year’s project, process reliability, process understanding and productivity were significantly improved, but mainly on a simplified blade geometry.
- Application of the insights from the previous projects to the milling of a more complex blade geometry (IN 718).
- Simulation-based process analysis for high-feed roughing.
- Development of process design guidelines for SiAlON roughing and BL-PCBN finishing for ICTM community.