Analysis of Part Distortion due to Residual Stress in Milling (study)
How can part distortion of a thin-walled component be analyzed during milling?
Challenge and Motivation
- Residual stresses can lead to significant dimensional errors through part distortion.
- A study by Boeing, based on four aircraft programs, estimated the rework and scrap costs related to parts distortion comes to in excess of 290 million dollars.
- Identification of common methods to analyze part distortion due to residual stress in milling.
- Experimental demonstration of part distortion during milling.
- Modelling and simulation of part distortion in milling.