Capabilities of X-Ray CT for NDT of SLM Parts
What are the capabilities of X-Ray CT for defect detection in 'standard' AM Parts?
Challenge and Motivation
- Characteristic size and shape of defects in parts manufactured by SLM in comparison to casted or wrought parts
- Measuring resolution (“Voxel-Size”) of CT is limited by part dimensions, material and selected measuring setup
- Resolution and failure detection capability for typical SLM (inner) structures (channels, walls) not evaluated
- Manufacturing of test parts with typical features of turbomachinery parts and measurement of integrated (internal) structures and its characteristic defects by CT
- Comparison of CT-scans with cross sections. Benchmark for applicability of NDT by X-Ray CT on the AM-Process quality assurance