Extreme High-Speed LMD Processes for Additive Manufacturing (EHLA 3D)
How can EHLA 3D improve near-net shape deposition over LMD while increasing build rates?
Challenge and Motivation
- Extreme High-Speed LMD (EHLA) is established in coating applications.
- Novel high-speed tripod kinematic system available at Fraunhofer ILT (for feed rates up to 100 m/min)
- Proof-of-concept for defect-free EHLA 3D build up with iron-base and Nickel-base materials successful.
- Evaluation of EHLA 3D for future application in turbomachinery and as a basis for follow-up projects such as tip repair studies.
- Demonstration of potential benefits of the technology over conventional LMD.