Near-net-shape Rough Milling of Turbo Engine Components with Barrel Tools
Can barrel tools be used for roughing in order to establish a near-netshape offset material situation for finish milling?
Challenge and Motivation
- Uneven offset material distributions after roughing are a major challenge in (semi-)finish milling operations
- Barrel tools (today used for finish milling) potentially allow for a more optimal near-net-shape roughing
- Determination of a suitable barrel tool design
- CAM-Planning of near-net-shape roughing tool paths
- Investigation of offset material situation after roughing via machining trials on demonstrator component