Characterization of Regrinded Cutting Tools
To what extent does the cutting tool performance decrease within the tool life cycle when milling nickel-based alloys?
Challenge and Motivation
- Extensive tool wear in machining of new and advanced nickel-based alloys leads to high tool costs
- The tools are regrinded several times to reduce tool costs
- With several regrinding operations, a loss of performance of the cutting tools can be observed
- Evaluation of a possible performance loss of cutting tools in milling Inconel® 718 due to several regrinding operations
- Identification of possible causes for performance loss