Tool Characterization – Benchmarking of Tool-Coatings#
What is the most suitable coating available on the market for machining of nickel-based alloy?
Challenge and Motivation
- Extensive tool wear in machining of new and advanced nickel-based alloys leads to high tool costs
- Coatings offer the potential to reduce the extensive tool wear in machining of new and advanced alloys
- Many new coatings are available on the market, whereas the coating performance is often unknown
- Independent comparison of different coatings under defined conditions (cutting material, process etc.)
- Identification of most suitable coating for a specific milling process